Thursday, September 18, 2008

I don't like IKE!

Well I guess I should start by saying that we are all healthy and safe. Thank you God!! We were very very fortunate and only had some damage to a few trees and our fence. Others weren't as lucky. We did manage to weather the storm but it will be the first and last hurricane we ever experience again!! It was the scariest night of my life!!! And for once, I am not exaggerating. I had the hugest knot you can imagine in my stomach and feared for our lives. The winds started howling hours before any rain ever came. We lost power around 12:30 Friday night and it is still not on. It is amazing how life changes in an instant. And how many things you take for granted until you no longer have them. We have been staying with family since the storm which has been such a blessing. I feel lucky to have a place to go. There are thousands in shelters who did not. The kids have handled the whole thing amazingly well, considering. It is starting to take its toll on Jacob a bit and today for the first time he asked me when we were going to be able to go home. Power is being restored all around us but there are still several places without and several businesses closed. You just have to drive around to see what is open. Some things are, some things are not. It has been an eye-opening experience to say the least and really makes you stop and think. Makes you grateful for what you have. I never thought things like bags of ice and bottled water would be hard to come by. And lets not even talk about waiting in line for 2 hours to get gas for your car (IF you can find a gas station open). We are being told power should be on sometime between Friday and Monday. We are keeping our fingers crossed!!!
**Thank you for your thoughts, prayers and well wishes. We appreciate them very much!**

0 comments: