Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Before I had kids

As anyone with kids knows, life changes drastically once those little boogers arrive! And that is an under statement! I was thinking today of all the things that I never knew until Jacob was born and I started my journey down the parenting road. For instance....

I never knew why it could be 3:00 in the afternoon and you still haven't taken a shower for the day.

I never knew that no matter how many sippy cups you buy, you always have to buy more because they grow legs and walk away!

I never understood how a mom could send her child to school in mismatched clothes or an outfit that was clearly picked out by the child!

I never knew how LONG trains could be when you are waiting at the track for them to pass!

I never knew that going to the theater to see an R rated movie would become a rare treat!

I never understood how parents could let their kids cry or scream or throw a fit in a store (until it happened to me!)

I never knew that blankets, pillows, books, and nightlights would become such an important part of bedtime.

I never knew why things like Oxi-Clean, Shout, and the Clorox Bleach pen were invented!

I never knew that you had to have en engineering degree in order to operate, assemble and handle just about every baby product out there!

I never understood that no matter how many times you pick up toys off the floor, they will be back there again within 10 minutes.

I never realized that my bathroom could be turned into a small lake during bath time.

I never knew how valuable it was to keep Infant Tylenol, Motrin and Orajel in stock at all times!

I never knew what it felt like to be peed, pooped and thrown up on (especially all in one day)

I never knew that ANYTHING can look like a monster in the dark at bedtime.

I never understood what the phrase "I've lost my mind" meant.

And last but certainly not least, I did not appreciate the value of Happy Hours!



But I also......

never knew what it was like to love a newborn baby

never knew what it was like to have them love you back

never felt my heart melt like it does when I hear "I love you mommy"

never knew how much I would love each day spent with my 2 precious babies

never knew that the bond between a mother and child is so strong words cannot describe it


I love you Jacob and Olivia and I am so honored to be your mommy!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww that's soo sweet, such loving words from J & O's Mommy...Feeling a little guilty about the previous paragraph huh???

Tiffany said...

So sweet Shana... Can you believe the amount of bath water that ends up on the floor! Just wait until Olivia is bigger...

And I love the disappearing sippy cups too - glad it isn't just me!

Sarahviz said...

How sweet and how true!