We first saw the orthopedic doctor a little over a year ago when Olivia still wasn't walking at 17 months. We saw him again last Fall after she had been walking a few months and got a good report. He told me to come back in 6 months for a routine follow up visit. Thursday I took her for what I thought was going to be a quick in and out type appointment. Boy, was I wrong! He watched her walk and discussed some things he saw which are all considered developmental at this point. However, he did say he was concerned just a little about how she tends to waddle some when she walks. After a physical exam and some x-rays, he told me she has severe hip dysplasia. Basically, she has shallow sockets and her hips are very close if not already, out of the socket. Thankfully she is not in any pain. The bad news is, the only way to correct this is with surgery. She will have two separate surgeries (one for each hip) and will be in a body cast from the waist down for 6 weeks after each. So we are looking at a total of 12 weeks in a body cast! YIKES! Additionally, because she has had some issues in the past, the doctor would like us to have some genetic testing before the surgery. This is just to rule out any genetic disorders that could complicate surgery. YIKES again! I don't have a date yet for when the surgery will be, but it will still be a few months away. Docs are typically booked 3 months out. Besides, we can't do anything until we have all the genetic results. I am going to get a 2nd opinion just to put my mind at ease but I am certain he will tell us the same thing. At least Craig will be able to go with me and he can hear what the doctor has to say as well. (He was not with me at this appt since we thought it was just a routine one)
Needless to say, my head has been spinning. I know everything will probably turn out fine and I know God is in control of this. But it is still scary and as a mama it is my job to worry, right??? We are going for our first genetic appointment on June 10th so I will have more to update then.
It's always scary going down an unfamiliar road. Please keep us in your prayers as we embark on this journey.
Saturday, May 22, 2010
Blindsided
Posted by Shana at 9:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Poor Olivia! I'm sorry your family is going through this.
Post a Comment