Saturday, February 6, 2010

In Memory of Abby


Abigail "Abby" Eads

(December 27, 1997- February 1, 2010)

This post is dedicated to our sweet dog Abby.
She was my Valentine present from Craig in 1998 and our first "baby".
We picked her out together and from the moment we saw her, it was love at first sight. I had never had a dog before and I had no idea the love and bond that would form between us. She experienced many of life's adventures with us.....moves, births, deaths, travels, job changes and so much more. She was always gentle, loved to be surrounded by people and tolerated just about anything by anyone! And believe me, she was tested time and time again surviving toddler hood with two kids!
Here are a few fun tidbits I don't ever want to forget:
  • If Craig and I were in different rooms, she would lie halfway between the rooms so as to be near each of us.
  • She had huge white paws as a puppy and we were told she was part Lab. Found out as she grew, that was not true.
  • She had several nicknames including the bearded lady, Gaily, Abbs, and Geena.
  • When Jacob was a toddler he couldn't say her name so he called her "Abba".
  • If any door was left open, she would run out! She did this as a puppy and NEVER grew out of it! Just as recently as a few weeks ago, she got out and into the woods behind our house. We always had to remind our guests to not leave the door open. Not even a crack!
  • With the addition of two kids and many crumbs (food droppings) falling on the floor, she became a relentless beggar sitting on the floor or under the kids feet anytime they would eat! She never missed a meal.
  • She loved to chase squirrels and was a fast runner!
  • Her favorite food was bread.
It may seem silly to dedicate an entire post to a dog, but she was truly a part of our family and will greatly be missed.


Thank you Abby for 12 years of wonderful memories.

3 comments:

Shannon K. said...

So sweet! I'm sorry for the loss of your dear friend :(

michelle ellis said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. Dogs are furry family members, it's not silly at all. We will be thinking of you guys.

Danette said...

AWW...our dog is almost 10 yrs old and I am sooooo not looking forward to that day. I know what a great family member you have lost...dogs are the best!! I can't tell you how many times my dog has been there to calm me while the baby was crying or my toddler was being crazy as my patients grew thin. Sweet Abby will be dearly missed!!