Monday, November 10, 2008

Operation Christmas Child

Jacob's school participates each year in a special project called Operation Christmas Child. Each child is asked to fill a shoe box of new items such as toys, school supplies and hygiene products. The boxes are wrapped and shipped to needy children across the globe. Being the procrastinator that I am, we waited until today to get our box ready since they are due tomorrow! They have been talking about the boxes at school and Jacob was excited to get started on his. I let him do all the deciding as to who would get his box. He of course chose a boy and then out of the 3 choices for ages (2-4, 5-9, 10-14) he picked 2-4 yrs. Hmmmmm....I wonder how he came up with this choice?
We took 2 trips to the store today in order to get all the "perfect items" to fill the box. He kept picking out BIG toys like ride on cars, remote controlled jeeps, etc. He didn't quite understand that all of our items had to fit in SHOE BOX. After some gentle persuasion from yours truly, we were finally able to agree on what to get. Just to give you an idea, here are some things he picked out....slinky, Scooby Doo stickers, box of hotwheel cars, crayons, markers, Snoopy toothbrush, toothpaste and candy! I was happy to see that candy was an acceptable item and I saw this as an excellent opportunity to get rid of some of the Halloween stash that is lurking around!
Here he is carefully picking out the candy!


Filling up the box


The finished product!

All day he kept asking WHO the box was for and named every friend that he has and kept asking why he couldn't just give it to them. I kept trying to explain to him that we didn't know who exactly was going to get our box, but that God did and He would pick the right boy for our box.

We wrote a note which included our address and stuck it inside the box. We also said a prayer for the boy who will receive it. I hope doing things like this will help Jacob learn how lucky and blessed he is!

If you would like more information on this project click here.

0 comments: