Things in the Eads household are moving right along. September seems to have come and gone like a whirlwind, or should I say hurricane?! hee hee :) I can't believe it is already October and Halloween will be here in a few weeks! SCARY! (no pun intended) The kids were sick last week with high fever but both are doing much better now. Jacob went back to school for one day and then got sick so we are crossing our fingers he can stay well for a good while now! Olivia ended up getting a fever over the weekend but since I had just taken Jacob to the doctor, I was able to call after hours and they wrote her a prescription right away. She started on the antibiotic and was already doing better by the next day. Thank goodness!
Today Olivia had an appointment with our audiologist, Julie, to see how things were going with her hearing aids. We hadn't been since August so she was surprised too see how well Olivia has adjusted and is tolerating them now. Don't get me wrong, she still pulls them out, but it has gotten much much better! Julie did a little "test" today to make sure Olivia's hearing loss hadn't changed and that the hearing aids were still working properly. I wish I had brought my camera but I forgot in the frenzy of trying to get 2 kids out of the house this morning! Next time I will try to remember! Anyhoo, the way the test works is Olivia sits in my lap and we are inside a sound booth. Up in the corners of the booth are boxes with speakers. Julie sits outside the booth behind a 2 way mirror and makes various sounds or calls Olivia's name into a microphone. Then we watch to see if Olivia responds or turns her head towards the sound. If she does turn and look toward the sound, then the box lights up and a little animal inside bangs on a drum. Well, Olivia did GREAT and responded to every single sound that Julie tested her on!! She was doing so great that Julie had me take her hearing aids off and we repeated the test. Again, she did great. There were only one or two very soft sounds that she did not respond to, which is consistent with the type of mild loss she has. Julie was very impressed with her progress and even said that because her loss is so mild, it is possible when she is a teenager/young adult she could have the option of not wearing the aids anymore!!!! That is the first time I have ever been told that so I was thrilled! It is not a guarantee by any means and will depend on many factors such as how she learns to compensate as she gets older and if the loss gets worse or not over time. We know her loss will never get better because it is permanent but hopefully with getting her fitted with aids so young and all the early intervention we are doing, it will pay off. I am just happy that the option of not wearing the aids is even a smidge of a possibility!!! Also, Olivia's ears had grown since she was first fitted so Julie had to make impressions for new ear molds today. We should get the new ones in a week or two and we will see how long they last. It is very common at this age, to get new ones every couple months while they are growing so fast. Well, I guess that wraps it up. Just wanted to share the good news and progress :)
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Moving right along..
Posted by Shana at 4:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Yea Olivia!!! After everything that has happened over the past month it is wonderful news to hear that she may not (fingers crossed) need the hearing aids entering into the teenage years. She is a cutie pie that Livvy Lu!!
Post a Comment